Junior High

High School


College and Career Planning

Parent/Student Planning Resources

Utah Colleges and Universities

Test Prep Sites

ACT student.org site


Several ACT / SAT Links



Click on the school name from the A-Z menu
Click Let's Go
Click No (you don't have an account)
Magic Word: BEEHIVE (all caps)
Create username and password
Enter email address
Click "My Profile" to visit your profile page
Click "Test Prep Passes" in your profile page to navigate to ACT Prep on Shmoop!

U of U ACT/SAT Prep


UEN: Utah Education Network site


Varsity Tutors


Transcript Requests

Transcript Request Procedure

 All official transcripts are requested through Mrs. Bouchard via the pink transcript request form located in the Counseling Center.  It is recommended that the student handle transcript requests to avoid duplication. 
Only have transcripts sent to the colleges/universities that you have applied to.  Only request a transcript be sent to a college/university one time on the pink form to avoid duplication at the college/university as well.  Example:  A student fills out the form requesting transcripts be sent to Utah State, Weber, and Dixie State.  Later the student decides to apply to University of Utah.  The student would then fill out a new form and select University of Utah only.     
For NCAA eligibility students should select NCAA on a pink transcript request form one time to have official transcripts sent.  If you request transcripts to be sent for NCAA, final transcripts are required and will be automatically sent in June without request. 
If you need an unofficial transcript for insurance or any other purpose those can be printed from your mydsd account.
Mrs. Bouchard keeps a record of all transcript requests and when the transcripts are sent. 
For all students who have graduated please request official transcripts through the business office.      

College Entrance Tests

ACT:  American College Test

The ACT is typically recommended to be taken in the spring of a student's junior year.  If a student has completed through Algebra II they should have the knowledge needed for the math section of the ACT.  Students can take the ACT up to twelve times but usually it is taken two to three times.  Students who take the ACT more than once generally see their score increase.  All juniors will get to participate in a FREE ACT in March.  They do not need to register online for this FREE March test.  All other ACT tests taken should be registered for online at http://act.org  Click here TESTING INFORMATION SHEET for testing dates, fee waiver information, cost, etc. 
It is a good recommendation to practice for the ACT.  One of the biggest issues for students taking the ACT is timing.  They run out of time.  The more they do practice tests the better they get.  There are a number of different ways a student can do this.  We have free practice booklets that can be picked up in the counseling center.  There is free test prep online through ACT http://actstudent.org/testprep/ or you can also go to http://pioneer.uen.org/k12/ look for Learning Express Library on the left side of the page, register without an email, and go to College Preparation. We are hoping to offer ACT test prep classes at BHS again this year.  We will keep you posted on this.  University of Utah offers an ACT prep class at their Bountiful extension center 801-581-6984.  A good study book is The Real ACT Prep Guide by Peterson
The ACT is required for admission to most of the Utah colleges and universities.  The ACT assists 11th and 12th graders in the transition from high school to post-secondary education by providing information that can be used for admission, scholarships, course placement, advising, and planning.  The highest composite score will be accepted by any college, regardless of date sequence. University of Utah and Southern Utah University no longer accepts ACT scores from a student's transcript.  ACT scores need to be sent to these schools directly from ACT.  When registering for the ACT be sure to select which schools you would like the scores to be sent to. 

PSAT:  Preliminary SAT/National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test

The PSAT is a practice National Merit Scholar Test.  This is the same test that juniors will be taking to compete in the National Merit Scholar Competition.  http://collegeboard.com/student/testing/psat/about.html  Historically students who become National Merit Scholars took the test for practice during their sophomore year.  The PSAT will be given at BHS on October 11, 2017.  To register for this test you can pay in the business office.  The cost for this test is $20. 

NMSQT:  National Merit Scholar Qualifying Test

National Merit Scholar Qualifying Test.  This test is for juniors competing against other students across the United States to be named as a National Merit Scholar.  http://collegeboard.com/student/testing/psat/about.html  The NMSQT will be given at BHS on October 11, 2017.  To register for this test pay in the business office.  The cost for this test is $20. 

SAT/SAT-II Subtests:  Scholastic Aptitude Test

SAT and SAT II Subtests may be required by some colleges/universities.  It is always good to check with the school that you plan on attending to see what their requirements are.  You can access SAT information at http://sat.collegeboard.org/home?affiliateId=nav&bannerId=h-satex

Utah College AP/IB/CE Transfer Guides

Brigham Young Univeristy

When you get to the page, there is a drop-down box entitled Transfer Guides by School.

Dixie State University

   Dixie CE
   Dixie IB
   Dixie AP

Southern Utah University


University of Utah

   U of U AP
   U of U CE
When you get to the page, just scroll down a bit.
   U of U IB

Utah State University


Utah Valley University


Weber State University

   Weber AP
   Weber CE
   Weber IB

FAFSA Information

FAFSA stands for Free Application for Federal Student Aid. The government uses this form to determine you eligibility for financial aid, which includes, grants, loans, work study, and scholarships. Why fill it out? The FAFSA is used to determine how much aid you are eligible for. Your prospective colleges will try and meet your financial need through and made up of funds from federal, state, school and private sources.

What is Federal Student Aid?
Federal student aid comes from the federal government - specifically, the U.S. Department of Education. It’s money that helps a student pay for education expenses at a post secondary school (e.g., college, vocational school, graduate school). Federal student aid covers such expenses as tuition and fees,room and board, books and supplies, and transportation. Aid
also can help pay for a computer and for dependent care.

The four categories of federal student aid are:
• Grant - Grant money usually doesn’t have to be repaid. Most U.S. Department of Education grants are based on the student’s financial need.
• Scholarship - U.S. Department of Education scholarship money is awarded based on a student’s academic achievement and does not have to be repaid.
• Work-study - Work-study money is earned by a student through a job on or near campus while attending school and does not have to be repaid.
• Loan - Loan money must be repaid with interest. For details about the federal student aid programs, including maximum annual amounts and loan interest rates, visit: http://studentaid.ed.gov/home.
Student Aid Eligibility
Eligibility for most federal student aid is based on financial need and on several other factors.

The most basic eligibility requirements to receive federal student aid are that you must

be a U.S. citizen or an eligible noncitizen,
have a valid Social Security number,
register (if you haven't already) with the Selective Service, if you're a male between the ages of 18 and 25,
maintain satisfactory academic progress in college or career school, and
show you're qualified to obtain a postsecondary education by
having a high school diploma or General Educational Development (GED) certificate;
passing an approved ability-to-benefit test (if you don't have a diploma or GED certificate, a school can administer a test to determine whether you can benefit from the education offered at that school);
completing six credit hours or equivalent course work toward a degree or certificate;
meeting other federally approved standards your state establishes; or
completing a high school education in a homeschool setting approved under state law.
WARNING: Please note do not use the site fafsa.com. It is not the official fafsa website and you will be asked to pay money to use the site. YOU DO NOT pay money to use the official FAFSA website: www.fafsa.ed.gov/
To complete the FreeApplication for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), you will need:...

·        Your Social Security Number

·        Your Alien Registration Number (if you are not a U.S. citizen)

·        Your most recent federal income tax returns, W-2s, and otherrecords of money earned.  (Note:  You may be able to transfer your federal taxreturn information into your FAFSA using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool.)

·        Bank statements and records of investments (if applicable)

·        Records of untaxed income (if applicable)

·        A Federal Student Aid PIN to sign electronically.  (If you do not already have one, visit www.pin.ed.gov to obtain one.)


College Bound Athletes
Students planning to participate in college athletics must meet NCAA academic requirements.

If you plan to play a sport in college you should register with the NCAA Eligibility Center. Students should register with the Eligibility Center after the completion of their junior year in high school. At this time, a transcript, which includes six semesters of grades, should be sent to the clearinghouse from the high school. Additionally, students should have their SAT or ACT test scores forwarded directly to the clearinghouse whenever they take the exam. The code to have your test scores sent directly to the Eligibility Center is 9999. You should consult with your school counselor as you start this process for further information and details.

As a prospective student-athlete at a Division I, II or III institution, you have certain responsibilities to attend to before you may participate. Information concerning who needs to register with the Eligibility Center and what documents should be submitted can be found at the following web site:
NCAA Eligibility Center